Apache OpenOffice for Windows
Windows Version Support
The current Apache OpenOffice supports Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Specific platform version notes:
- Windows 2000: OpenOffice may work on Windows 2000, but we don't test or recommend it.
- Windows XP: Tested, stable, no platform-specific problems known.
- Windows Vista: Tested, stable, no platform-specific problems known.
- Windows 7: Tested, stable.
- Windows 8: We run as a "desktop application", not a Metro "App". Requires x86 or 64-bit Windows. We do not support Windows RT, the ARM-based version, intended for tablets.
Pleae note: Apache OpenOffice is distributed as a 32-bit application. It will run successfully in 32-bit mode on 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8. But in those cases a 32-bit JVM is required for some functionality. Details are here.
Hardware demands are quite modest and even older machines should be able to run OpenOffice:
- Memory: Minimum 256 Mbytes RAM (512 MB RAM recommended).
- Storage: At least 650 Mbytes available disk space for a default install via download. After installation and deletion of temporary installation files, Apache OpenOffice will use approximately 440 Mbytes disk space.
- Graphics: 1024 x 768 or higher resolution with at least 256 colours.
Apache OpenOffice has the following special features on Windows:
- Mail client integration via Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI)