Automated Dictionary Installers:
*** DicOOo Macro:
Multi-Platform, Multi-Language, On/Off-Line Dictionary Installer
The macro in DicOOo.sxw,
created by Laurent Godard, is a multi-platform solution for installing dictionaries:
- on any platform executing OpenOffice.org and with DicOOo.sxw available;
- On-Line: install dictionaries from the Internet while connected; or
- Off-Line: use Dictionary Packs for installation from a local network, hard disk or Community CD.
We hope that Community distributors will find DicOOo and dictionary packs a useful addition on their CDs.
Some notes on building or modifying Off-Line Dictionary Packs for your requirements:
This feature is especially dedicated to distributing dictionaries with CDs. An Off-Line Dictionary Pack contains 3 text files and the
included dictionary zip files. The 3 text files describe what the off-line pack contains for each dictionary type:
Moreover, DicOOo code has been designed to limit the needed modification to the code, to let it start in off-line mode by default.
Users who want to adapt it, have only to focus on two global constants in the LangPack module:
- spell.txt: for the included spellchecker zip files. Uses same structure as the http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/available.lst file.
- hyph.txt: for the included hyphenation zip files. Uses same structure as the http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/hyphavail.lst file.
- thes.txt: for the included thesaurus zip files. Uses same structure as the http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/thesavail.lst file.
StartOffLine=0 ; 0/1 to deactivate/activate off-line mode by default
NomPackLang="" ; Name of the off-line pack zip file. Relative URLs to DicOOo location are allowed
When finished installing dictionaries, exit OpenOffice.org and exit the QuickStarter if it's running.
Restart OpenOffice.org and navigate to Tools>Options>Language Settings>Writing Aids.
Select your new dictionaries. :-))
DicOOo Tutorials Available:
Deutsch, html ::
English, pdf &
Español, html ::
Français, pdf &
Make a tutorial in another lang? Suggestion for improvement? Error? Contact Richard at openoffice.org.
For Windows, Lee Corbin has created a nicely automated Dictionary Installer. Binary and source are available for
Lee Corbin's DictInstall for Windows.
--> Lee's Dictionary Install Tips for Windows, in
English | Deutsch | Français | Español | Finnish | Danish | Greek | Italian | Nederlands
For Linux/Unix, Jonathan Hudson has created a nice, automated Dictionary Installer. Binary and source are available at
Jonathan's Dictionary Install Tips for Linux.
return to Table of Contents for Writer's Aids