English:

The Free and Open Productivity Suite
New: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 released!

Meeting Minutes

OpenOffice.org

Weekly Meeting common User Interface (CUI)

Date

July 25th 2002

Time

10:00h, MEST

Location

Cupertino, eham-02

Attendees

Christian Jansen (CJ)
Christian Lippka (CL)
Matthias Müller-Prove (MMP)
Daniel Rentz (DR)
Frank Schönheit (FS)
Gunnar Timm (GT)

Minute Taker

MMP (next: PB, CL, OS, DR, FS, GT)

Distribution List

http://ui.openoffice.org/protocols

Table of Contents

  1. Action Items
  2. Roundtable

1 Action Items

Item

Responsible

Status

previous items

Create a concept of Common UI factory design

FS

to be dropped from this list

Proposal for Accessibility (focus, keyboard) of automatic Help Agent (the window with the bulb)

CJ

stalled

coordinate with GSL team for support of PNG images in toolboxes

CJ/MMP

in progress

break down the PDF export spec to single issues, assign to responsible developers

MMP/FS

done

collect requirements for resource-level support of HC images/bitmaps

CL

done last week, see results at 1.3 below

collect information about behavior when scrolling over non-focused windows

CJ

in progress

new items

resource-level support of HC images/bitmaps, discuss implementation with Philipp Lohmann (PL)

CL


technical evaluation: toggle buttons in toolbar (for Macro Recording)

GT/FS


1.1 Create a concept of Common UI factory design

Due to the open future of our current – or future – UI toolkit this action item does not make sense today. It will be dropped from the list.

2.2 coordinate with GSL team for support of PNG images in toolboxes

Sample PNG icons are done and forwarded to Kai Ahrens (KA).

1.3 requirements for resource-level support of HC images/bitmaps

Affected objets are

New action item to contact engineering to discuss the implementation.

1.4 collect information about behavior when scrolling over non-focused windows

CJ proposes a due date in 2 weeks.

2 Roundtable

2.1 File Menu for Bibliography Window

CJ proposes a File menu for the Bibliography that matches the items of the Writer File menu. Necessarily, a lot of items are disabled. The rational is to have a consistent File menu for the Writer module. We all agree, that the Bibliography needs a redesign for future versions.

2.2 Disabling of submenus

A UI Spec is needed for the correct behavior of menus. e.g. when to enable/disable submenus? Should submenus reveal their items, even if none of the items is enabled? Consider also modal dialogs, that allow access to the document window, e.g. Filter dialogs in Calc.

ToDo for MMP and CJ in Product Management

2.3 Macro Recorder

2.3.1 Icon

The current icon design (a red bullet, moved to the bottom right) is not perceived as a proper icon. CJ will take a look into it.

2.3.2 Toggle Menu Item and Icon in Toolbar

Currently the menu item "Record Macro" gets a check mark during recording. It might be better to switch the text to "Stop Recording" (or something like that). If we change the menu behavior we should also change the icon behavior for the toolbar. The Record Macro button should change to a Stop Recording button.

Action Item for GT & FS: Is it possible to toggle buttons in the toolbar?

2.4 Application Model

Consider the following situation.

The Exit command is disabled because of the modal dialog in Writer. But this is not obvious to the user.

Another situation

Due to technical reasons modal dialogs have to be closed in the order of calling them up. This is again a situation that should be improved.

Usability research is needed to come to a general solution > ToDo for MMP and CJ in Product Management

Apache Software Foundation

Apache Software Foundation

Copyright & License | Privacy | Website Feedback | Contact Us | Donate | Thanks

Apache, the Apache feather logo, and OpenOffice are trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation. OpenOffice.org and the seagull logo are registered trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation. Other names appearing on the site may be trademarks of their respective owners.