2nd February 2004
Spanish translation available thanks to Alexandro Colorado.
It seems thet the MyDoom/Novarg virus affected the mailing lists at OpenOffice.org
as most lists grew to a crawl and some even shut for business completely.
Besides this normal OpenOffice.org development proceeded.
- Release of developers snapshot m22
- Plugins for VCL
- Native Language project news
- Other development news
- Mailing list problems
- API@OOo NEWSLETTER: Janurary/2004
- OpenOffice.org Perl Library
- Mistaken attribution of the PyUNO OOo XML SAX Parser
- OpenOffice.org 1.1 for OS/2 goes beta
- This weeks Issuezilla summary
- This weeks CVS highlights
Biweekly developers build M22The developers build m22 has been released and includes changes for table cells/rows which can now continue over a page boundary, general UNO API for URI handling, more compatability fixes, VCL cleanups, and many other bug fixes. Also included is the work around for the comma/dot usage on the keypad for spreadsheet users.
Plugins for VCLThe document here describes the VCL plugin architecture and which plugins are available at this time.
Native Language News
Afrikaans, Zulu and Sipedi announcementsCraig Adams wrote to tell us that the Afrikaans dictionary and the beta Zulu translation of OOo 1.1.0 were available adn that the the Northern Sotho (Sipedi) and Afrikaans beta translations are now available. For more info you can refer to openoffice.org.za or www.translate.org.za.
Arabic & Hebrew Native-Lang ProjectsTwo more native-lang projects were announced.
The Arabic Project is led by Mr Khayat and backed by the Arabeyes free-software community, an important player and supporter of free software and OpenOffice.org in the Arabic world. The Hebrew project has been created by Tkos, an Israeli company who is also in charge of localizing OpenOffice.org and StarOffice but who managed to set up a real and lively community of users, developpers and marketers.
These two projects show the growing influence of OpenOffice.org in the Middle-East and we are delighted that such prestigious cultures and people have adopted OpenOffice.org as their free and open productivity suite .
In Other Development News
Mailing list problemsOpenOffice.org mailing lists were severelly affected by the MyDoom virus as the mail server was very busy routing the messages to the poor receipients. Work from the COllabNet camp hints at messages in the millions being handled. This is another reason why this digest is a bit one the "light" side.
Some of the impressive statistics available up to Feburary 2nd :
- total for week prior to 2 Feb: Total messages: 2702804
- Accepted by destination: 416751 (15.4%)
- Rejected by destination: 117692 (4.4%)
- Rejected by Brightmail: 237632 (8.8%) (spam detection tool)
- Rejected by sendmail: 1930729 (71.5%)
API@OOo NEWSLETTER: Janurary/2004This months newsletter covers :
- Multiple-Inheritance Interface Types
- How to insert a Field usable in the mailmerge function.
- Casting Versus UnoRuntime.queryInterface
- Opportunities to Contribute to OOo
- What do do in Listeners and What Not do in Listeners
- Preventing OpenOffice GUI DIalogs from Popping up
- No TLB Files needed for OLE-Automation Binding
- StarOffice7 Basic Programmers Guide in 10 Languages
- Retrieving a TextField in the Current Paragraph
- CodeSnipped: Merging Subsequent Cells with Equal Values
- Correction of CodeSnippet Template
- Closing Office Documents
- Security Within Macros
- How to Make Another Document the Current Document?
OpenOffice.org Perl LibraryThe OpenOffice.org Perl Library(ooolib) can be used to create simple OpenOffice.org Calc spreadsheet and Writer text documents.
Mistaken attribution of the PyUNO OOo XML SAX ParserI must applologise to Danny Brewer as last week I mistakenly attributed the PyUNO code he wrote to someone else. Danny has actually written quite a number of PyUNO articles on OOoForum.
OpenOffice.org 1.1 for OS/2 goes betaInnotek announced the Beta port of OO 1.1 for OS/2 and eCs is now available at the innotek download site.
This weeks Issuezilla summaryMany bugs have been worked on and resolved (as of Monday Feb 02 2004 ):
|No this week||Change from last week|
|Issues which have the status UNCONFIRMED||390
|Issues which have the status NEW||952
|Issues which have the status STARTED||1035
|Issues which have the status FIXED||7724
Some of the more interesting CVS developments over the last week include:week 5 (2004):
- lots of work on the new canvas code
- ability to adjust row heights in Writer table with the mouse
- wizards for letter writing
- several improvements for Report wizard
- reduce Mac OSX warnigns
- improvements in the help dialog
- DOM and XForm work
- the new layout manager is getting closer to feature complete
- more dialog restructuring to help reduce startup time
- links are now also exported to PDF files
- lots of merging in preparation for the fix3 branch for 1.1.1
- more chart2 changes
- spec for the new database registration dialog
- add ssl login support to ldap address book