OpenOffice.org 1.1 Features
Enhanced file format support
- PDF (Portable Document Format) export
- Support for mailing a document as PDF.
- DocBook/XML import/export.
- XHTML export.
- Support for Macromedia Flash (SWF) export.
- Support for mobile device formats like AportisDoc (Palm), Pocket Word and Pocket Excel.
- Example xslt based filter for Office 2003 XML documents
- Support for full keyboard navigation and control
- Support for tracking system colour scheme and theme settings
- Support for accessibility in the help system and documents
- Initial support for Assistive Technologies via Java accessibility APIs
CTL, vertical and bidirectional writing
- Support for vertical writing within text documents, text frames and graphic objects
- Support for vertical writing in spreadsheet cells (the direction is individualy selectable)
- Support for input, display and editing of scripts using Complex Text Layout (CTL)
- Support for RTL layout and text in the OpenOffice.org GUI
- Support for BiDi-writing in OpenOffice.org documents
- Support for using either Arabic or Hindi numerals
- The RTL vs. LTR default text direction is automaticly selected based on locale
Other Internationalization enhancements
- Support for various 8-bit Arabic and Hebrew text encodings / code pages.
- Support for the KOI8_U encoding.
- New CTL options tab in language options dialog.
- Rescue mode support for BiDi/CTL with X11 fonts.
- Sequence Input Checking (SIC) for languages like Thai and Hindi.
- Initial glyph fallback support.
MS Office compatibility enhancements
- More accurate import and export of graphics objects
- Import and export of CJK and CTL documents
- Enhancements to overall stability and accuracy of conversion
- Forms conversion within Word documents
- Improved import of text document layout
- Support for Data Validation
- Import/export of graphical details of charts
- Even better one-to-one layout of text frames
- Improvements to import of WordArt objects
- Enhanced footnote support.
- Improved hyperlink support for TOCs.
- Improved keyboard handling in toolboxes.
- Plain text files are now imported using a non-proportional font.
- Configurable font for HTML and BASIC source code.
- Support for drawing objects in headers and footers
- Alternative language support for spell check on text drawing object.
- New command line option -start to start the presentation automatically after the document is loaded.
- Import and export of areas in charts in Excel files that are formatted with bitmaps, textures or hatchings.
- The sum button inserts a sum function or a subtotal function, depending on context.
- Support for Excel 95 (and older) form controls
- Table control via keyboard navigation in table designer.
- Added ability to switch off brackets for bibliography fields.
- New database type in data source administration dialog - MySQL.
- Ability to add labels to field names in the report wizard.
- A data source can now use any character set known to OpenOffice.org.
- UI support for user installed database drivers.
- Database Report Wizard
- Autodetection of newly installed languages for spellchecker, thesaurus and hyphenator.
- Integrated support for spell checking English (US and UK) and Italian
- Integrated support for hyphenation of Danish, English (UK and US), German and Russian
- Initial support for spell checking Hindi
- Spell checking uses n-gram scoring for suggestions
Programing and Automation
- Macro Recorder
- Crash reporter for collecting crash dump and error information
- Integrated Python-UNO bridge allowing creation of UNO components in Python
- A new java to native UNO bridge with up to 10 times better performance.
- Detection of a misconfigured Java installation.
- OpenOffice.org ActiveX Control (Windows only).
- Additional property pages for OpenOffice.org file types in Windows Explorer.
- Windows 98 users need not download unicows.dll
- The splash screen now has a progress bar.
- Improved online help content.
- Improved configurability of dialogs and toolbars.
- Improved URL autocompletion in hyperlink dialog.
- The context menu now contains 'Open Hyperlink' if opened on a URL.
- Locking of user installations against accesses from multiple machines with shared directories.
- Command line tools and an API for importing configuration data into the backend.
- Document windows are now always created in a cascade to avoid new window completely overlapping the old one.
- Support for registering add-ons and accessing add-ons via an auto-generated menu.
- New FTP file access component.
- The registration dialog will now display instead of addressbook data source selection on first run.
- Support for recovering slightly damaged OpenOffice.org files.
- New ppd file for generic postscript printing with type42 font support.
- Support for copy/paste of bitmap graphics on Unix.
A Graphical presentation of the highlights is also available.